Saturday, December 6, 2008

New friends

Tonight we had some new friends over for dinner--Matt and Sarah, and their almost-1 son Gabe.  I've had several playdates with Sarah and Gabe, but this was our first gathering of families.  We had a great time.  Lydia and Gabe are so cute together.  Gabe is bigger than she is, but she can definitely hold her own.  We put out pieces of cheese on the ottoman for them to eat, and she kept boxing him out.  She can put the food down pretty quickly.  I missed one of the funny events of the night while I was making the crust for the chicken pot pie--all of the adults were watching something on TV, and all of a sudden they noticed that Lydia was gnawing on the whole wedge of cheese.  I can totally imagine it.  She can really eat!

Don and I really don't have any friends that we've made as a couple.  I'm hoping that Matt and Sarah can maybe be our couple friends.  Matt is a derm resident, but I've really hung out more with Sarah, so I don't consider them "derm friends" as many of my friends and their boyfriends or spouses have been.  Sometimes we hang out with other couples, but they're really more Don's friends, and they have a lot of history from before Don and I were together.  I usually feel like they're more Don's friends than mine.  We shall see.  In any case, I always have a great time when Sarah, Gabe, Lydia and I get together for our playdates.  We have a very similar approach to parenting, and I really enjoy talking with her.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I so miss having couple friends. It's been hard for us too to make many couple friends since we've been in New Haven.