To celebrate her 6-month birthday, I cooked up some green beans from Don's garden and she ate her first solid food (if you can call heavily-pu
reed green beans solid). For the past three days, she's eaten about 3 tablespoons of pureed beans per day, and she loves them. In my usual fashion, I researched exhaustively what foods are the best starter foods. Everything now suggests that you don't need to start with cereal, so we decided to start with green beans to encourage her to like her veggies. Currently, all signs point to yes. She definitely likes her beans. Wednesday we get to add another food (one new food every 4 days), and we're planning on avocado. I have a feeling she'll love it; her parents definitely do!

It's funny...we've been looking forward to all of these milestones with such anticipation. We couldn't wait for her to crawl, and we couldn't wait until she could eat real food. All of these milestones are reminders that she won't be young forever. The solid food transition seems especially difficult for me. I know it's the first step in her eventual weaning, and it makes me sad. I really have loved breastfeeding her. I love to cuddle up next to her and feel her little body next to mine. I love how she wants to nurse so badly every time I come home from work. I love knowing that it's one thing that only I can provide for her; it seems like the essence of motherhood, and I know I'll miss it when it's gone. So I'm glad my little girl is getting bigger, but part of me already misses her baby self. Wow! This is going to be a long road :)
1 comment:
I feel the same way. I'm totally not ready for AC to have a life apart from me. :)
Post a Comment