Monday, October 6, 2008

2 breeds of old women...

Last week, while the carpets were drying after a good cleaning, Lydia and I went to Home Goods.  As we wandered the aisles, we ran into a kindly elderly woman, who cooed  over Lydia for at least 5 minutes, admiring her eyes and her skin, all the while wishing that her friend was there to admire with her.  After this veritable overflow of admiration, Lydia and I wandered on.  We then ran into her again, this time with her friend.  Her friend was the other type of old woman, what is generally known as an Old Bat or Old Bag.  While Old Lady #1 had a hard time restraining herself from touching Lydia's cheeks and feet, The Old Bat stood back a little coldly, nodding while Old Lady #1 remarked on Lydia's various attributes.  She noted Lydia's bare feet, and said, "Your mother needs to start putting socks on your feet when it's this cold out".  I nodded in return, and said, "Yes, I definitely need to do that".  I listened and nodded while she talked about how busy her daughter was with her twins, and what a big job that was, all without cracking a smile.    Later, as I wheeled my cart around the store, I reflected on these two breeds, and sincerely hoped that I would turn out like Old Lady #1.

1 comment:

Tara said...

That is SOO annoying. You seem to have handled it really sweetly, which is a real credit to your nature and probably demonstrates in itself that you will be the nice kind of old lady! :)

The other day I stepped a few feet (3? 4? just past arm's reach) from the stroller to get a soda from a vending machine, and a lady walking by said nastily over her shoulder, "You know, that's really dangerous--somebody could just walk off with your baby." Well, maybe, but if they wanted to be that bold, they could also just pull the stroller right out of my hands!