Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mama Bear

On Tuesday, Lydia and I were without power for most of the day. After many hours of feeling like shut-ins, we went over to My Urban Toddler, a fun play spot near here. For $5, little ones can run around and play with all sorts of new toys. There were 5 other kids there that day--4 little girls, and one little boy. Ages probably ranged from 2 to 5 years old. Lydia, used to being adored wherever she goes, kept going up to the big kids, babbling, and offering them toys. The other kids seemed either hostile or nonplussed. The older little girls just ignored her, moving away any time she'd come near. The little boy kept looking up at me and saying, "I don't understand her. What does the baby want?" The worst girl, though, gave a violent yell any time Lydia came within 2 feet of her. It was awful to see Lydie's face each time she was rebuffed--she looked so confused.

I know this is the way kids are, that they're really little animals protecting their territory. I've seen Lydia snatch toys from other kids (though I always make sure she gives them back). Still, it's hard to watch.

My approach was to keep her away from the other kids as much as possible. We finally found solace in the music room, where she banged away on the little piano. Earlier, we had found a little baby doll which hadn't been commandeered by the other girls. As we played our music, I heard the other little girls start searching for the 3rd baby doll. Even though Lydia wasn't actively using it, I tucked it away behind the piano so they wouldn't find it. That was one thing they weren't going to steal from my baby. Childish? Probably. But I choose to think of myself as a mother bear, looking out for her little cub :)

2 comments:

Tara said...

Aww--poor Lydia! But I have a feeling she will be able to hold her own pretty well soon. :)

Julie said...

I'd hate to see some errant kid or his or her parent try to mess with you or with someone you love :) I do know how strong you are!