Monday, November 30, 2009

Is it that time already?

I have to go back to work on Wednesday. I can't really believe it, but it's true. To prepare, I'm sitting here pumping so that Don has a ready supply for Della. Fortunately, Della is asleep and Lydia is getting ready to sleep. She certainly doesn't sound like it, though. I can hear her jumping and playing over the monitor. Still, she's safe and sound in her crib, and I have some "me" time downstairs.

Don has no idea what he's in for. These two little girls require a lot of energy. I really find it easiest if we go out and do something. It's a bit of a struggle to get both girls out the door, but it eats up lots of time, which makes the day more tolerable. This morning we went to the Ann Arbor Hands-on Museum. They have a fun preschool area with slides, a kitchen, and lots of age-appropriate toys, including a water play area. Lydia had a great time, and Della just looked around with big eyes. It was fun. Other fun excursions have been to the Domino's Petting Farm, Calder Dairy Farm, and the circus. Lydia loves to talk about the animals she's seen.

Lydia's speech is advancing by leaps and bounds. She's said some 6 word sentences, which really amazes me. This is such a fun time, because she can communicate so many of her thoughts and needs.

We selected and purchased a Christmas tree on Saturday at Urquhart's Tree Farm here in Ann Arbor. We bought our tree from them last year as well. When you cut the tree yourself and keep it watered, it doesn't seem to lose its needles as much as the ones you buy from a Christmas tree lot. The tree is now up and decorated and really looks beautiful. We also bought four evergreen wreaths and put them up outside the house. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I'm really looking forward to the holidays this year. My whole family will be here, and I'm sure that Lydia will appreciate what's happening a lot more this year. So much excitement ahead. I can't wait.

Of course, I'll have to wait. And I'll have to go back to work and try to remember some dermatology and remember the names of all the new residents. I feel very out of the loop, and hope some intelligence comes back. I've been having terrible word-finding problems lately, so I may be in trouble :) I'll also have to start pumping again. I like breastfeeding, but pumping is no fun. Not looking forward to it one bit!


1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow--it seems like Della was born five minutes ago. How time flies! Good luck with the transition back. . . keep us posted. :)