For a while, Lydia was great about going to bed, both for naps and at bedtime. Lately she's been fighting her naps (she's doing it now). I read her a story, breastfeed her, cuddle quickly, and then put her into bed. Now she pleads for more cuddle time, or wants a certain pacifier, and she throws a mini-tantrum when I leave. I hate closing the door on her, especially when she's pleading for extra cuddling, but I know that she's just trying to avoid the inevitable nap. Still, this is one of the hardest things about being a parent.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Good cop, bad cop...
Before Lydia was born, I told Don that, in matters of childrearing, I didn't want to play the bad cop to his good cop. He assured me that wouldn't be the case, and most of the time, that's true. If I say that Lydia shouldn't do something, he backs me up, and I do the same for him. Sometimes, though, I still feel like the Grinch to his Santa Claus. This role falls to me most at bedtime. It's not really a surprise, I guess. I'm a clockwatcher and always have been; Don doesn't even wear a watch. I am a stickler about being on time; Don runs perpetually late. Once it starts becoming dark, I have to push for dinner to begin, for dinner to progress appropriately, and for bath and then bed. It's become obvious to me that Lydia needs to be in bed by 7 pm, and it's so hard to get her there by then. For that to happen, dinner should really start at 5:30. She should be done eating by 6:30 and take a quick bath before a story and then bed. When Lydia is having fun with Don, I'm the one who looks at the clock and says, "It's time for your bath", effectively ruining the fun. If Don gives her the bath or reads her bedtime stories, I often have to come in and say, "Time's up". Again, the Grinch. I know I'm doing what's best for Lydia by trying to maximize her nighttime sleep, but it's hard to be the bad guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can totally relate. But I accepted the role even before Sinjin came along. Some things are just inevitable. And Jason is quite shameless about it. I can see it now: "If it were up to me, you can have all the ice cream you want. But MOMMY says no."
I can definitely relate to the good cop/bad cop dynamic (though Sam too is good about our being consistent together). I told Sam that I didn't want to be the mean parent while he was the fun parent, and he said, "Oh, honey, you know that's the way it is going to be." Because, by nature, he is just more fun than I am--no doubt about it. But he is also more anxious about AC and more interested in the path of least resistance, and that has done wonders for his commitment to her schedule, even though he doesn't wear a watch either. :)
Hi Yo,
I can assure you that it all works out in the end no matter what you do. Just enjoy and keep blogging!
And good luck with the new work schedule, but that too will be just fine. Don will have a ball all day long!
Happy Holidays.
Love, Aunt Kathy
Post a Comment