I'm back to pumping at work. I squeeze in three pumps a day--right before clinic, at lunch, and then some time in the middle of my afternoon clinic. This time around, I've really realized how much I hate pumping. Ugh! But I know it's important, and I take pride in the fact that neither of my girls has ever had a sip of formula. Still, even the breastfeeding is starting to become a bit of a drag. I still enjoy the time I spend with my girls while breastfeeding, but I've been breastfeeding for nearly 2 years! I think that I may end up encouraging Della to wean earlier than Lydia has. In all honesty, she may end up weaning herself. She just doesn't seem to enjoy nursing the way Lydia did (does). Lydia nursed for comfort, but Della really only seems to want to nurse when she's very hungry, and she sometimes fights and squirms a lot while at the breast. Perhaps it's something about not being the only child. Sometimes our nursing sessions are interrupted by Lydia's requests or other demands, and she doesn't get the same individual, focused nursing sessions that Lydia had. Who knows?
Della has just started to sit more stably on her own. She looks so cute perched up in the tripod position, leaning forward. She is really an angel baby--so pleasant, happy, and cuddly. I wonder if second babies are naturally good because they have to be? My mother always reflects on how happy and easy my brother was, and I know of other wonderful second children. In any case, she is a beautiful child, and we feel so lucky to have her.
I blogged before about starting a Music Together class. We really enjoyed our first class, and just started our second 10-week program. It's been really fun to watch Lydia learn the songs. Initially she would sing mostly in a monotone (if she sang at all), but she is definitely following the melody more and more. She really enjoys playing the drums and the different instruments. We have a wonderful teacher who is very interactive, and that makes the class a lot more fun. We've started taking Della to class as well. She seems to enjoy the music and looks around with rapt attention throughout the class. Great family time!
Life is busy and wonderful here in Ann Arbor. Having two children definitely increases the workload considerably, but I'm sure things will get easier and easier as we get into more of a routine. My primary goal is to get both girls asleep at night around the same time. Those few hours of personal time really make a big difference in my personal well-being (and in my ability to blog).
2 comments:
I'm with you on the pumping . . . I didn't have to do much of it--I just did it in the late evenings when AC first started sleeping through the night, to make sure my milk supply would stay up--but it felt somehow like being subjected an old-fashioned device of (low-level) torture and humiliation, while still being incredibly bored. :)
your observations about second babies were interesting. Jordan was not that into nursing even though Emma was weaned and he had me all to himself. He also was the good baby. (it's hard to think of them as babies, isn't it? lol )
Post a Comment