Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Music Together

Yesterday I submitted our application for a Music Together class, which will start in late September (2 weeks after our little one is due).  It was a lottery, so I was a little nervous that we might not get in, but we got it and even got our first choice--a Tuesday evening class from 6-6:50pm.  I'm really excited about it.  I plan on us all going as a family, even though I'm sure our little one won't be very involved :)

One fascinating discovery I made is that Music Together was developed by a Swarthmore graduate--class of 1986.  Like me, he was criticized for his voice at a young age and was told not to sing.  Only later did he undergo extensive vocal training.  To combat this sort of early labeling, he developed very early childhood musical education.  He believes that no child is tone deaf, and that any child can learn to be musical.  So, in a wholehearted effort to ensure that my kids escape my tonally challenged life, it's Music Together for us.  Hooray!

3 comments:

Tara said...

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Music Together. I was going to enroll AC in a summer class but decided against it at the last minute (not because of anything to do with the class, but just because we were enjoying our leisurely mornings so much and her naptime had gotten earlier).

Anonymous said...

I don't remember anyone telling you not to sing! Posted by Nat

Yolanda said...

Bad sentence by me, Nat. Like me, he was criticized for his voice. He was also told not to sing. I've only become more sensitive about my voice over time--all that One Note Joe stuff still rankles.