Monday, November 24, 2008

On professional life...

I've just completed a very derm-focused few days.  After my three days of work last week, I had to spend my Saturday at work interviewing potential residents.  It's a terribly grueling day.  We interview 42 people over the course of the day--10 minutes with each person, in groups of seven.  What a challenge!  The first half goes well, but by the second half of the day, it's hard not to feel drained.  I interviewed with my colleague Lisa, and we asked a set series of questions.  She asked applicants where they could see themselves in 10-15 years and also asked them to recommend one thing that she should see or do before she dies.  I asked them to reveal one of their guilty pleasures and also to list three people (alive or dead) with whom they'd like to share a meal.  Perhaps these don't seem like very useful questions, but all applicants have already provided us with their curriculum vitae, their board scores, their transcripts, and a personal statement.  On paper, they all look like fabulous people; they've volunteered, done research, and have great letters of recommendation.  I need to sort out whether they're normal, interesting people.  Most of them are, but some are quite odd.  The best answer to the "one thing to see or do" was to try waitressing.  I like the guilty pleasure question, because some people really prove that they're completely boring when all they can say is "I like to eat".  My liberal arts core likes the 3 people question, because you can find out a lot about a person and how well-rounded they are by their response.  

To add to this derm focus, tonight I had to attend a Dermatology professorship dinner honoring four professors who received endowed professorships.  I decided to let Don off the hook for this one, and told him he wouldn't need to go.  I rope him into so many of these things, and I thought this one was one that he could get a pass.  This generosity was unrewarded, though.  He wondered what I was up to, and why I was being so nice.  Sorry Don!  From now on, you'll have to suffer through these things with me :)

I'd be interested in hearing what people think of the interview questions we asked, and whether you have any suggestions for the future.  I'd also really love to hear some of your responses to the questions, just to get to know you better.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I spend my life interviewing people, funny you should ask!
A few that I always found quite revealing - "What has been your biggest challenge as a leader?" People are used to telling about what they are great at, I found this very often caused people o stumble. A funny one, similar to your guilty pleasure question, which I love!, is to ask if they were granted three wishes, what would they be. People who answer with anything work related are boring, I found the truly successful and creative people had some quite unique answers. Granted, I was typically interviewing recent college graduates, but these are two questions that set the good apples above the rest ..

Anonymous said...

I love that you asks those questions! Like you said on paper you already know they are smart, and have what it takes academically. Knowing if you will enjoy working with someone is something all together different! I think everyone should have something like that required of them in a interview!

Tara said...

I like asking people to name one regret. It's a good way of disarming people who are trying to present themselves as never having made a mistake . . . :) (Of course, every now and then you get a truly sad answer . . .)

kohffeine said...

you know i love the guilty pleasures question... i have too many!

i like the three people you'd like to eat with question, too. i think - emma thompson, steve colbert and tina fey. for now.

i don't have any questions to add, though i like the ones already listed by the other posters.